Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Shrimp, Simply Spanish

I'm a huge fan of Mark Bittman (and, bragging rights: I've worked on the publicity for three of his books), so when I saw his "recipe" (he's not so much of a recipe kind of guy as a throw-in-a-handful-of-this-and-a-pinch-of-that kind of guy) and video for Shrimp, Simply Spanish, I knew I had to make it immediately. 


Even though this summer in New York City has been hot as blazes, my roommate and I figured we'd crank up the A/C and make this mouth-watering, gorgeous dish. Preparation included, it only took 15 minutes! I amended his recipe slightly because we didn't have all of the ingredients, and I think the only things I'd add next time would be a little fresh chili for some heat while the shrimp is cooking, and I'd sprinkle some fresh parsley on top at the end for some added flavor and color.

Shrimp, Simply Spanish

Serves 2

3/4 pound fresh shrimp, peeled (Bittman doesn't peel them until after he cooks them, but I think this is easier)
3 diced garlic gloves
1 cup sliced organic mini-heirloom tomatoes
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
Salt and pepper to taste

Saute the garlic in olive oil in a pan for 1 to 2 minutes (don't let it brown). Add the shrimp, tomatoes, paprika, and cumin and saute it for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the shrimp turns pink and looks ready to eat.

And you're done! We had the shrimp as is with a side salad, but it would be delicious over jasmine rice or gluten-free pasta (my favorite is Trader Joe's Gluten Free Rice Pasta).

No comments:

Post a Comment