Monday, August 13, 2012

Hummus

If you're gluten-free (and honestly, even if you're not), you'll probably agree that finding good, healthy snacks can sometimes be challenging. My snack time is usually around 4 pm, when the work day is starting to wind down, my lunch is wearing off, and I need an extra kick of energy if I'm going to hit the gym after work.

For a while I was eating these thinkThin bars for protein, but they weren't sitting too well, and I realized that was because they contained soy, which I have since cut out of my diet completely (and I've been feeling much better).


Anyway, hummus has always been a go-to snack for me. Hummus and pretzels (I love Glutino's Gluten Free Pretzel Twists, but they also contain soy), hummus and red pepper, hummus and cucumber, hummus and carrots, the list goes on and on. I'm trying to remember when I really fell in love with hummus, and I think it must have been college. It seemed to be one of the only healthy snack options in our dining hall, and I have very fond memories of devouring containers and containers of hummus with my college roommates.

Since I've been eating it all of these years I figured I'd give it a shot and try making it from scratch. Boy have I been missing out! Home made hummus is a) delicious and b) incredibly easy to make.

I'm guessing that a lot of you love hummus as much as I do, and I strongly recommend that you try this at home. I've been bringing it to work and having it as a late afternoon snack, and it's also a good go-to (rather than chips and salsa) when I get home at night and need a little something to hold me off until I make dinner.

Hummus

2 cloves garlic (or, if you like it really garlic-y like I do, you can use 3 cloves)
1 can garbanzo beans, half the liquid reserved
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons tahini
1 teaspoon salt
black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon fresh parsley
1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest

In a food processor, chop garlic. Pour garbanzo beans and remaining liquid into blender. Place lemon juice, tahini, and salt in blender. Blend until creamy and well mixed.

Transfer the mixture to a medium serving bowl. Add fresh parsley for garnish and lemon zest if desired.

The next time I make hummus I may try and come up with a jalapeno recipe for some extra kick. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment