Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Arugula Salad with Roasted Butternut Squash, Goat Cheese and Pecans

I kept meaning to post this recipe before Thanksgiving, but the days flew by and now here we are almost a week after the fact. I'm mad at myself for not posting this sooner because it would've been the perfect salad for the occasion. Oh well, we're still in prime butternut squash season, so fear not—you have plenty of time to make this. 


Like carrots, butternut squash is loaded with vitamin A. One cup of baked butternut squash has 457% of your daily vitamin A intake. It also has 52% of your daily vitamin C intake, and only 82 calories.


Did I mention it's also delicious?


I love seasonal salads, and this one is no exception. The warm butternut squash goes incredibly well with the goat cheese (which as we all know has a very distinct flavor), and I love how the different textures work together. Of course we can't have a salad without leafy greens, so I choose arugula, but kale would also be a fantastic substitute. Or even spinach.


I roasted a bunch of butternut squash one night and it kept in the fridge for a few days, so I was able to enjoy this salad for more than just one meal. I also had left over roasted chicken, which I threw on there for protein to make this substantial enough to count as a meal. As long as you're not a vegetarian I highly recommend doing this. If you are, quinoa might be the answer for you.


Arugula Salad with Roasted Butternut Squash, Goat Cheese and Pecans

Ingredients:

1 cup butternut squash, cubed
2 tablespoons goat cheese
2 tablespoons pecans
2 cups arugula
Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 450.

Toss butternut squash cubes with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Cook in the oven for 25 minutes, tossing occasionally, until golden brown (if you're in a time crunch you can just as easily cook it in the broiler for 12 minutes, tossing occasionally). Let cool for 10 minutes.

Toss in with arugula, goat cheese, and pecans. Add olive oil, vinegar (I used my favorite go-to balsamic glaze), salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment