Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Baked Halibut with Tomatoes, Capers and Onions

Hi. Remember me? It's been a while. I can't believe it's been over a month since my last post. I was on such a roll for a while, and then life got in the way. The holidays were so busy, and then to be honest, I fell out of my cooking groove. Or at least my "cooking new, exciting recipes" groove. Sundays are usually my big cooking days and I've been traveling so much that I haven't had a ton of time. 

Excuses, excuses. But I'm back today with a terrific new recipe that you'll be dying to go home and make for dinner tonight. 


To be completely honest, I haven't cooked much fish in my lifetime. I've been wanting to make a baked white fish for a while now and when I came across this recipe in the New York Times, I knew I had to make it. 


It didn't take more than 30 minutes to make and was absolutely delicious. I particularly loved the sauce, and the fish was so moist and tender. The polenta was equally as good, and I'll share that recipe with you tomorrow! 


Baked Halibut with Tomatoes, Capers and Onions

Serves: 2
Cooking time: 30 minutes

Pre-heat oven to 450º.

For the halibut:
2 halibut filets
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper
4 lemon slices

Lie fish flat in a baking pan. Cover lightly with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Put lemon slices across the top of each filet. Cover baking pan tightly with foil and bake for 15 minutes.

For the sauce:

1/4 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
1/8 cup capers
1/2 can diced tomatoes with juice
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon fresh or dried basil

Sauté onion in olive oil until translucent, for about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and capers and cook another 3-5 minutes. And tomatoes, tomato paste, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook yet another 3-5 minutes.

Spoon over fish and serve immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment