Monday, June 24, 2013

Summer Green Salad


The weather in NYC has been beautiful recently, and the last thing I want to do is sit inside at my desk all day. Sometimes I find my mind wandering, thinking about what I want to make for dinner and mentally whipping up a new recipe. With all of these fabulously delicious and fresh summer ingredients available at my fingertips, I really can't go wrong.


But lately I've been stuck on this one particular salad. It's so darn good. And so ridiculously easy to make! It's full of brightly colored vegetables and the chicken sausage and edamame give it some some added protein.


Salads don't always do it for me for dinner, but this one does. And I've been eating it again and again and again, and much to my surprise I'm still not sick of it!


I've been using green beans, edamame, peas, tomato, avocado and chicken sausage, but you really could throw in whatever sort of vegetables you want.


And the best part is, this should be filling enough that you won't need a carb on the side. But if you do, I recommend an incredibly delicious gluten-free roll from Free Bread (my favorite is The Jalla). More on Free Bread to come soon—all of Karen's products are amazing (and not just gluten-free amazing. Amazing amazing). 


Summer Green Salad

Yield: 1 serving
Time: 15 minutes

2 cups fresh green beans
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup frozen edamame
1/2 cup fresh tomatoes, chopped
1 link Al Fresco Roasted Garlic & Herb Chicken Sausage (you can use whatever you want, but I like this because it's gluten-free)
1/4 avocado, diced
1-2 cups arugula, spinach or fresh greens of your choice

Bring 5 cups water to a boil in a medium size pot. Throw in the green beans, peas and edamame and cook for 4 minutes. Strain and set to the side to cool.

Sauté chicken sausage in olive oil (or, since I've been trying to stick to a paleo diet the past few weeks, I've been using coconut oil spray) on medium heat for 5-8 minutes, or until browned.

For the dressing:

1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon honey
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar

Mix together in a small bowl. 

And there you have it! Combine the veggies and sausage in a large bowl, drizzle the dressing on top and salt and pepper to taste. I usually like to add some freshly grated parmesan cheese on top.

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment