Monday, October 7, 2013

Strawberry, Banana, Almond Milk & Cinnamon Smoothie

Two weeks ago I posted a recipe for homemade almond milk, and told you how much it's changed my life. I continue to make it at least once or twice a week, and have loved incorporating it into my morning (and sometimes afternoon) smoothies.


In the morning I tend to go for a green smoothie. I like starting my day off healthy, with a hefty serving of spinach and/or kale. But every now and then I crave something sweeter, and I've come to love this simple combination of banana, strawberry, almond milk and perhaps my favorite ingredient in this smoothie: cinnamon.


I've been leaving the almond pulp in my almond milk for some added protein, and tend to throw in a little flaxseed into this as well. It doesn't affect the flavor because there's already a slight, but not overwhelming nuttiness from the almond pulp. 


Some people complain that smoothies aren't filling enough, and I tend to agree unless there's some form of protein and/or fiber. In this case, the almond milk and flaxseed fill me up, as does the half of a banana. If you're a skeptic, give it a whirl in your blender and let me know what you think. This also makes for a great afternoon snack or even dessert. 


Strawberry, Banana, Almond Milk & Cinnamon Smoothie

Time: 5 minutes
Servings: 1

1 cup homemade almond milk
1/2 frozen banana
1/4 cup frozen strawberries
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon flaxseed (sometimes I even add 1 tablespoon)
1 date, pitted

Blend almond milk and banana until smooth, then add strawberries, cinnamon, flaxseed and date and continue to blend until smooth. Serve immediately and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love smoothies..n this one looks quite interesting..i so wanna try it.

    Vitamix

    ReplyDelete