Thursday, July 19, 2012

Arugula and Peach Salad with Honey-Lime Vinagrette

On Sunday night one of my roommates and I made the most delicious summer salad for dinner. We were licking our plates when we finished. 


A little background. I recently saw a nutritional counselor, Claire Calmeyn, who taught me about maintaining a healthy diet. Not just a gluten-free diet, but a healthy diet in general. She taught me the importance of eating organic fruits and vegetables, grass-fed and pasteurized meat and dairy, and so much more. She took me to the Union Square Greenmarket and showed me all of the various summer fruits and vegetables I should be eating. And she said to always buy organic, or local, when I can. Not only do organic fruits and vegetables taste better, but they retain all of the natural nutrients that are normally killed by pesticides.

I mention all of the above because I've been making a conscious effort to buy organic and from the greenmarket whenever I can. It's more expensive, but in my opinion very worth it.

But enough of that and onto the salad! I was in San Francisco with my parents in June and my stepmom kept talking about the salad she had at dinner with my dad the night before I arrived. She made it for us when I was home in Maryland a few weeks ago, and I loved it so much I told my roommate we had to make it (although I tweaked the recipe slightly). We went to Whole Foods, purchased all organic ingredients, and made the most delicious, simple salad I've had all summer.

Arugula and Peach Salad with Honey-Lime Vinagrette

Serves 2

2 peaches diced (white and yellow)
2 large handfuls of arugula
The juice of 1 lime
2 teaspoons of honey
Salt and pepper to taste

Place the arugula on a plate (or in a bowl), and sprinkle the diced peaches on top. Combine the lime juice and honey in a small dish, mix it up, and drizzle it over the arugula and peaches. Add salt and pepper if you wish (I wish).

Oh, and I shouldn't neglect the delicious caprese salad we had on the side, with drizzled creamy balsamic vinegar on top (purchased from Eataly).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment