Monday, July 23, 2012

Gluten-Free Coffee and Vanilla Oreo Ice Cream Cake

For as long as I can remember (pre-Celiac diagnosis), my parents would get me a mint chocolate chip ice cream cake from Baskin-Robbins for my birthday. I loved ice cream cake. Forget the presents (sort of), forget the special meal—all I really cared about was the cake. And if there was any left over you can bet I would sneak down to the kitchen and have it for breakfast the following morning. (I should probably take this opportunity to confess that I have a major sweet tooth. Haribo Gold-Bears are my downfall.)
Sadly, since my diagnosis I haven't been able to have my beloved mint chocolate chip ice cream cake. And trust me, I miss it. Fortunately New York City is one of the best places to live if you are gluten-free. There are numerous gluten-free bakeries. For my most recent birthday my very thoughtful boyfriend got a delicious assortment of cupcakes from Tu-Lu's Gluten Free Bakery in the East Village. I also love gluten-free treats from Babycakes on the Lower East Side (their doughnuts are amazing, as my good friends over at The Whisk and The Wardrobe will tell you) and Pip's Place on the Upper East Side. 

But still, I missed my ice cream cake! So you can imagine how thrilled I was when my aunt suggested we make a gluten-free ice cream cake this past weekend. It was incredible. And unbelievably easy to make. 
Gluten-Free Coffee and Vanilla Oreo Ice Cream Cake

Serves 8

1 bag of crumbled Glutino Chocolate Vanilla Creme Cookies (I contend that these taste better than Oreos, and I used the back of an ice cream scooper to crumble them.)
1 pint of coffee ice cream
1 pint of vanilla ice cream

Transfer the coffee ice cream into a new pan or dish and flatten it (the layer should take up the bottom third of the pan or dish.) Pour half of the cookie crumbles on top of the coffee ice cream and spread evenly. Then add the vanilla ice cream, and top it off with the remaining cookie crumbles. All you have to do is put it in the freezer and let it sit for a few hours, and voila.
Next time I'll try it with mint chocolate chip ice cream. And yes, I had it for breakfast the next day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment