Monday, August 20, 2012

Fried Egg with Yellow Tomato, Avocado, and Basil

I love when I throw together a delicious meal using ingredients left over from other recipes I've made. Saturday morning I was rushing to pack for Ocean City, NJ, and I knew I wasn't going to have time to grab anything more substantial than a breakfast or protein bar (I'm a fan of KIND and LARABAR). I looked in my fridge and I saw a carton of eggs, a yellow tomato, and an avocado, and I was hit with a wave of inspiration.


This was such a delicious, easy, and healthy breakfast to whip up. I was thrilled that I used the food in my fridge instead of letting it go to the waste over the weekend.

I was energized for the 3-hour trip to the shore, and also pretty impressed by my last-minute idea. By the time we got there I was starving and we happened upon a fabulous gluten-free taco stand on the boardwalk called Pure Tacos. If you're ever in the area you should definitely check it out! Their Naranja Salsa (peaches, habanero peppers, green onions, garlic, cider vinegar) was finger-licking good. I may even attempt my own version while peaches are still in season.

Fried Egg with Yellow Tomato, Avocado, and Basil

2 eggs
1/2 yellow tomato, sliced horizontally
1/4 avocado, sliced
2-3 basil leaves (I picked these fresh from my basil plant)
Salt and pepper to taste

Fry the eggs in a pan with a little butter for 2-3 minutes. Slice the tomato and avocado while the eggs are frying. Place each egg on top of a tomato slice, then top with avocado and basil and add, salt, pepper, and hot sauce to taste. Enjoy!


Oh, and we made Mimosicles. Yup. Mimosa popsicles. That recipe is definitely coming your way soon. Get excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment