Thursday, August 16, 2012

Tacos, Tacos, and More Tacos

As predicted, I didn't have time to cook last night. But that's okay! I had a blast with my friends who were in town from Dallas. We had the best (and cheapest) tacos and margaritas at La Superior in Williamsburg. If you haven't been, it's definitely worth making the trip. It's a dive, it's full of hipsters, and it's incredible.

If you're gluten-free like me you probably eat a lot of Mexican food. A lot. It's my go-to. Fortunately my neighborhood has a number of very, very good Mexican joints (in addition to La Superior). Cariño makes the most amazing fresh corn tortillas; Cantina Royal makes awesome small plates and a fresh strawberry margarita that will knock your socks off; the Endless Summer taco truck makes melt-in-your-mouth pork tacos and a really, really delicious side of rice and beans; and Whirlybird makes the absolute best breakfast tacos I have ever tasted. Seriously, you have to go. I'm sure there are a ton of other spots I haven't had the good fortune to try yet, but there's plenty of time for that. And if you  have any recommendations, I'd love for you to post them in the comment section below.

Is your mouth watering? If not, this slideshow of 33 Knockout New York Tacos from New York Magazine's Grub Street blog will do the trick.

Now you're probably all like, That's great and everything, but give us a taco recipe!  Fiiine. I made very colorful shrimp tacos earlier this summer, so you're in luck.


My boyfriend and I had grand plans of grilling the shrimp on my roofdeck, but after trying to light the coals for about 20 minutes (it was a very windy night, I swear), we gave up and decided to sauté the shrimp on my stove instead. Way less time consuming, and probably almost as tasty. 

Shrimp Tacos with Tomato, Peach, Mango, and Avocado Salsa

Serves 2

1/2 pound shrimp, peeled
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 tomato, diced
1 peach, diced
1 mango, diced
1/2 avocado, diced
1/2 cup cilantro
1/2 cup purple cabbage
Juice of 1 lime
6 corn tortillas

Heat the oven to 250°, put the tortillas in aluminum foil, and heat for 10-15 minutes while you're preparing the rest of the meal. 

Dice the tomato, peach, mango, and avocado and mix together with the lime juice in a medium bowl. Add 1/4 cup cilantro, and use the rest to garnish the tacos.


Sauté the shrimp and garlic in olive oil for 3-4 minutes, or until the shrimp turns pink. Remove from heat, dice  the shrimp, and put it in a small bowl.

Grab a tortilla, scoop some of the tomato, peach, mango, and avocado salsa onto it, add some shrimp, and top it off with a handful of purple cabbage and cilantro. (I bury my tacos in cilantro because I love it so much. It's kind of a problem.)

I've also made these tacos on a few weekend summer trips with my girlfriends. There are usually zero leftovers.

Shoot, I should have paired this with a recipe for fresh margaritas. My lovely cousin (who is currently designing a logo for Gluten Free For All!) makes the best fresh watermelon margaritas. Perhaps I'll have to steal her recipe and share it with you all at a later date... Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment