Thursday, August 2, 2012

Gluten-Free Zucchini Quiche with Sautéed Kale

Zucchini is one of those vegetables that I really need to start incorporating into my recipes more often. Not only is it delicious, it's also seasonalit's a summer squash. 


One of my very good friends over at The Whisk and The Wardrobe told me she's been making different variations of shaved zucchini salad this summer (apparently it's on all of the menus in Italy right now), and that motivated me to take advantage of the vegetable while it's still in season.

Another friend recently recommended the blog Skinnytaste (not all of the recipes are gluten-free, but definitely check it out when you have time) and I found this recipe for zucchini tots, which looked so delicious that I had to give it a whirl. After I went to the grocery store and picked up the necessary ingredients I got home and realized I didn't have a mini muffin tray, so I made do with what I had and used a glass loaf dish instead.

One thing I will say about this recipe is that it takes a little while to make. All in all, probably about an hour. So my promise of posting recipes that take 15-30 minutes just went right out the window. Sorry!


Gluten-Free Zucchini Quiche with Sautéed Kale

Serves 2

For the quiche:

1 cup zucchini, grated
1 egg
1/4 cup medium yellow onion, diced
1/4 cup Glutino Gluten-Free Breadcrumbs (next time I may skip these; they didn't seem to add much)
1/4 cup fresh mozzarella (or for more flavor I would probably use grated cheddar)
Salt and pepper to taste

For the kale:

2 cups kale
2 garlic cloves

Pre-heat the oven to 400°. Spray the dish with cooking spray.

Grate the zucchini into a clean dish towel and then wring all of the excess water out of the zucchini (trust me, there will be a good amount). Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer the mixture into the dish, pop it in the oven, and bake for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden.
(Please excuse the subpar photo.)
The kale only takes about 3-4 minutes to sauté, so my advice would be to wait until you're about to take the quiche out of the oven and then throw it on the stove. Rinse the kale and remove it from the stem. Then rip the leaves into bite size pieces. Sauté the garlic in a little olive oil for 1-2 minutes (before it starts to brown), and then add the kale and let it cook for 3-4 minutes (until it looks like spinach would).


Transfer the kale to a plate, then cut a serving of the quiche, add it on top and you're ready to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment