Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Gluten-Free Almond Butter Cookies (A Recipe in Progress)

This is an important space for me to talk about not only my culinary accomplishments, but also my culinary failures. Or at least my culinary mishaps. You should know that not everything I make turns out perfectly on the first try. I'm human, after all. My adventures in gluten-free baking have only just begun, and I've heard from so many other people that it's all trial-and-error.


On Sunday night I decided to amend my Peanut Butter Cookie recipe and swap in almond butter for peanut butter. I also added cinnamon and vanilla for extra flavor. I didn't have any issues with the flavor—the cookies were quite tasty—the texture was the issue. Many of the cookies crumbled the second I tried to move them off the cookie sheet. I should have taken pictures of the crumbled cookies, but at that point I was being too stubborn to accept defeat.

I'm going to share my recipe with you, but you should know that I'll be making these again within the next week, experimenting with different ingredients. I'm thinking maybe coconut oil will help and stop the cookies from crumbling. I might also add shredded coconut for some additional hold and flavor.

And if you have any other suggestions, please comment below. I'd love any and all advice you may have to offer!


Almond Butter Cookies (A Recipe in Progress)

Ingredients:

1 cup organic almond butter (I mixed creamy and crunchy, but it just depends on your personal preference)
1 cup organic sugar
1 large organic egg
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 350ยบ.

Mix the ingredients together in a large bowl using electric beaters or a stand mixer until they form a dough-like mixture. Use a teaspoon to drop mixture onto the cookie sheets (I rounded each one first and then slightly flattened it on the pan). Cook for 15 minutes or until golden brown. 

Be on the lookout for an updated recipe sometime next week. And again, let me know if you have any suggestions! 

No comments:

Post a Comment