Thursday, September 6, 2012

BabyCakes

My gluten-free partner in crime, The Wardrobe (who left to go back to Boston this morning much to my dismay), and I went on a very inadvertent shopping spree at BabyCakes last night. If you're not familiar with BabyCakes, you should be (even if you're not gluten-free).


It's a bakery located on the Lower East Side of Manhattan (248 Broome between Orchard and Ludlow) that serves gluten-free, refined-sugar free, soy-free, dairy-free, egg-free, and vegan baked goods. Delicious baked goods. And they don't taste like they're missing any "normal" ingredients.


The Wardrobe introduced me to BabyCakes this past spring, but I had never actually been before. Every time she came down from Boston she'd go there and bring me the most incredible gluten-free doughnuts. Last night we happened to have dinner at an adorable restaurant called Dudleys, which was right around the corner, and she insisted (okay, okay, she didn't have to do much insisting) that we stop in.


We didn't exactly "stop in." We bought everything in sight, and then some. We took shots of icing! And then we went home and stuffed our faces.


We ate cinnamon sugar doughnuts, which I've had before, and think about constantly. I've never been a doughnut person, before or after (well, clearly) my celiac diagnosis. Until now. Good lord are these amazing. They have numerous other flavors, including coffee crunch, samoa, and salted caramel, but these are by far my favorite.


We ate cupcakes. Vanilla, chocolate, and mint brownie.


The chocolate cupcakes, particularly the mint brownie, were incredibly rich and I could only have a few bites, but if you're a chocolate person you will easily finish the entire cupcake.


But the winner of the night was the chocolate chip cookie sandwich. It was all kinds of deliciousness.


We devoured it, and almost (almost) fought over the last bite. And then we proceeded to spend the next hour in a gluten-free food coma.

The verdict? Run, don't walk, to BabyCakes. (They also have locations in Los Angeles and Orlando.)

No comments:

Post a Comment