Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Gluten-Free Blueberry Muffins

My apartment smelled incredible last night. Why, you ask? Because I was making gluten-free blueberry muffins.


 I'll be honest, I had my doubts. Up until now I really haven't experimented too much with gluten-free baking. I've never made muffins, or cupcakes, or bread. Well, let me tell you, I am a changed woman.

A lot of my favorite gluten-free bloggers are big into baking. And of course everything they make looks amazing. Which is intimidating. Right? I figured it would be easy enough to start off with something relatively simple, like muffins, and take it from there. I spent some time researching gluten-free blueberry muffin recipes  (because let's be honest, who doesn't love homemade blueberry muffins), and finally came across this recipe from Confessions of a Gluten Free Mom. I ultimately chose this because it only required seven ingredients, whereas some of the other recipes I came across required at least 16 (like this one). Not only did I find those recipes slightly intimidating, I didn't want to break the bank on my first try.


What makes this recipe so easy is that it uses Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix (gluten-free, of course), so I didn't have to buy five different kinds of flour. And let me tell you, I'm sold on this mix. It's delicious. And not just gluten-free delicious. Delicious delicious. I was licking the beaters, spatula, and mixing bowl until there wasn't anything left to lick. Don't judge me.


And the muffins were even better than the raw batter! Shocker, I know. But seriously. They were so good. Fortunately my gluten-free partner in crime (The Wardrobe from the adorable blog The Whisk and The Wardrobe) is in town from Boston for Fashion Week and was kind enough to be my guinea pig last night. She loved them too.

So there are two takeaways from this: 1) never be afraid to try new recipes (and if you are, find a fairly simple recipe and work your way up from there), and 2) go buy yourself a package of Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix. Last night as I was falling asleep I started to make a mental list of recipes I want to try with it.


Gluten-Free Blueberry Muffins

Yields 15 muffins
Total cooking time, including prep: 40 minutes

Ingredients:

1 & 3/4 cup Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix
1/4 cup organic melted butter (the original recipe called for coconut oil, but I decided to use butter this time)
1/2 cup almond milk (the original recipe called for coconut milk, you could also use regular milk)
1/2 cup organic white sugar (the muffins were a little sweet, so you could probably use less if you wanted)
1 organic egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon (I added this because I love cinnamon and think it really adds to the flavor of the muffins)
1 cup blueberries (the original recipe called for 3/4 cup, but I figured the more the merrier)
15 cupcake liners

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Mix all ingredients together except blueberries (I used a hand-held beater). Gently pour and fold in the blueberries so you dont turn your batter purple. Gently scoop batter into cupcake liners in the muffin tin. Fill batter almost to the top leaving a little space for rising.

Bake for 30 minutes (the original recipe said 22-25 minutes, but mine needed more time). Make sure to test with a knife or a toothpick to make sure they are cooked through. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment