Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Eggplant and Zucchini Frittata (and Highlights from Labor Day Weekend)

Well, it's official. Summer is over. Womp womp. Apologies for being such a Debbie Downer, but I'm sad and I'm allowing myself to wallow for a moment. Okay, all done. (And if you have five minutes after reading this post, click on the above link and watch one of my all-time favorite SNL sketches. It will bring you out of your end-of-summer depression. I promise.)

Really, what do I have to complain about? This was the best summer. The best. I went on some amazing trips—San Francisco, home to Washington, DC, Cape Cod, the Jersey Shore (the nice part)—and had lots of fun with family and friends. I spent the first part of Labor Day weekend in Sharon, CT relaxing and reading by the pool at my aunt and uncle's house. I mean, really. Does it get any better? Warning: lots of pictures ahead.



I highly recommend the above book, by the way. Alexandra Fuller's memoir, Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight, about growing up on a farm (well, multiple farms) in Africa. It's an incredibly unique, hilarious, shocking, and beautiful portrait of an extremely unconventional family.

I spent the second half of Labor Day weekend with friends at a lake house in Goshen, CT. We went boating, tubing, water skiing, and kayaking. We ate and drank a ton. And we had a blast. What a perfect end to the summer.





Did I mention I ate and drank my heart out?

Fresh Watermelon Margarita
Homemade Guacamole
Fresh Figs
Coffee Ice Cream with Dark Chocolate Almonds
And to top it off, last night I went to the US Open with three of my best friends and saw Andy Murray play (and beat) Milos Raonic. 


I'm especially sad this year to say goodbye to all of the wonderful summer produce. Strawberries, blueberries, peaches, figs, tomatoes, and corn on the cob. See you next year! But I'm looking forward to fall produce, and to trying out new recipes to share with you. Cooler weather brings warm, hearty meals, and you won't hear me complaining about that.

Which brings me to my recipe for today. I made this Eggplant and Zucchini Frittata with my aunt, who is an excellent cook, and who has taught me a lot in the kitchen. We made this for dinner one night and then had leftovers for breakfast and lunch the following day. Not too shabby.





Eggplant and Zucchini Frittata 

Serves 8

10 organic large eggs
1 small eggplant, sliced
1 small zucchini, sliced
1 leek (or 1/2 cup), sliced
1 small red pepper, diced
2 tablespoons fresh dill
1/2 cup Jarlsberg cheese, sliced thinly or freshly shredded
4 slices prosciutto, sliced into bite-size pieces 
Salt and pepper to taste

Pre-heat the oven to broil.

In a large skillet, sauté the leek in extra virgin olive oil for about a minute, then add the eggplant, zucchini, and red pepper and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the eggplant and zucchini are tender. 

In a large bowl, beat the eggs together using a whisk. 

Pour the egg mixture into the pan and combine with the vegetables, stirring with a rubber spatula. Add the prosciutto, Jarlsberg, and dill. Add desired amount of salt and pepper. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until the egg mixture has set on the bottom and starts to set on the top.

Move the skillet to the oven and broil for 3 to 4 minutes, until it looks light brown and fluffy. Remove, slice, and serve immediately. Add salt and pepper to taste.

That's it for today. Goodbye summer, and hello fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment