Thursday, August 30, 2012

Jalapeño Cheddar Hummus

If you read my recipe for plain hummus a few weeks ago, you know that it is one of my favorite snacks. I eat it all of the time. Unfortunately that means I tend to get sick of it and sometimes need a break. But one of the great things about hummus is that you can make so many different flavors and varieties. Sick of plain hummus? Make garlic hummus. Or lemon hummus. Or red pepper hummus. Or jalapeño cheddar hummus! 



At the end of my post I mentioned that I wanted to try making jalapeño hummus. Fortunately my good friend Paige, who currently lives in Buenos Aires (and has a fabulous blog called La Panza Porteña), sent me her recipe for jalapeño cheddar hummus. I took a stab at it this past weekend and, I'm embarrassed to admit, ate almost the entire batch in two days. That's my only issue with hummus. I have no self-control. Zero.

I ate it with Crunchmaster Gluten-Free Sea Salt Multi-Grain Crackers (love these, by the way).


I ate it on a slice of Meredith's Gluten-Free Bread with tomato from my dad's garden on top.


I ate it with sliced red pepper (but I was so busy eating that I failed to take a picture). And I wanted to eat it over eggs, but there's still time for that.

Jalapeño Cheddar Hummus

Serves 6

1 15 oz can chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
1/2 jalapeño pepper, chopped and seeds removed
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons warm water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground paprika (her recipe called for cumin, but I didn't have that in the pantry, and this worked perfectly)
1/2 cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese



Instructions:

Combine everything in a food processor or blender (except the cheese) until blended smooth. Add some extra water if necessary to thin it out.


Remove from blender and fold in cheddar cheese. Process again until well combined.


Thanks for the recipe, Paige! Next I want to try this Sweet Potato Hummus with Fennel Seeds from the fantastic vegan blog Sweet Potato Soul, which I recently discovered. And this Edamame Hummus from Skinnytaste. Trader Joe's sells the best edamame hummus, but I'm thinking I can make it from scratch and it'll probably taste just as good or even better. Any other recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment