Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Cucumber Avocado Soup

I know that fall is here and the weather is really starting to cool down (it was 55ยบ F when I woke up this morning!), but I'd like to think there's still room in my diet for chilled soup. At least for the next few weeks. I made this soup a week or two ago and have been meaning to post it, but kept forgetting. 


This recipe is adapted from a seven day Detox created by Gwenyth Paltrow, which she posted on Goop. I've never done a full detox, and I've only ever done a one day juice cleanse from Liquiteria in NYC (I've also heard Cooler Cleanse and BluePrintCleanse are equally as good), but I do think it's important to detox your body every so often. I always make a conscious effort to eat healthy and be very aware of what I'm putting into my body (especially since I have to follow a strict gluten-free diet), but I certainly have my slip-ups. As you probably know by now, I have a major sweet tooth. Ahem, Haribo Gold-Bears. If those weren't gluten-free, I honestly don't know how I'd survive. But not all gummy bears are, so if you're eating them be sure to check the ingredients. 



I digress. Many of you probably already know that you have to watch your avocado intake (to a certain extent). If you look at the nutrition facts you'll see that the average avocado has 29 grams of fat and 322 calories. But the good news is that the fat in avocados is considered a "good" fat and has numerous health benefits. It's anti-inflammatory (good for people with arthritis), it helps our digestive tract, and has been shown to lower the risk of heart disease. An avocado also has 13 grams of fiber (54% of the recommended daily intake) and 4 grams of protein. You can read more about the benefits of avocados here

That said, this soup is incredibly creamy and filling, and I highly recommend it for lunch.

Cucumber Avocado Soup

Serves 1
Cooking time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

1 large cucumber, peeled and seeded
1/2 avocado
Juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Instructions:

Blend all of the ingredients together in a blender or food processor until totally creamy and smooth. Chill for 30 minutes and then serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment