Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Lentil, Kale, and White Bean Soup


Today is the perfect day for soup. At least, if you're in New York City. It's dark and rainy and windy. All I want to do is curl up in my bed and read a book or watch a movie (or, let's be honest, finish the season finale of Keeping Up with the Kardashians).


Soup is such a cozy food, don't you think? There's something so comforting about it. Maybe it goes back to my childhood, when my parents would feed me chicken noodle soup whenever I was sick. Perhaps there's a bit of nostalgia there.


Regardless, I love soup, and I'm having a blast venturing into the field of soup-making. This summer I made Yellow Tomato and Mango Gazpacho, on Sunday I made Cucumber Avocado Soup (recipe coming later this week), and last night I made the most delicious Lentil, Kale, and White Bean Soup. It was inspired by a friend's lentil soup recipe, but I threw in some additional ingredients and made it my own. It was incredibly flavorful and satisfying, and I can't wait to experiment with other soups this fall and winter. If you have any requests, feel free to post them in the comments section below. In the meantime, stay dry!


Lentil, Kale, and White Bean Soup

Serves 5
Total cooking time: 45 minutes (prep time: 15 minutes; cook time: 30 minutes)

Ingredients:

1/4 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, diced
3 carrots, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
1 cup lentils
1 can cannellini beans
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 head kale, stems removed and leaves chopped
2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
2 tablespoons fresh oregano
1 tablespoon freshman rosemary
1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

In a large pot sauté the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery in extra virgin olive oil for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the lentils, cannellini beans, tomatoes, kale, chicken broth, oregano, rosemary, and vinegar. Simmer on medium heat for 25-30 minutes, or until carrots and lentils are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Transfer to a food processor and blend to the consistency of your choice. This really brings out all of the flavors and creates and creamy consistency, which I prefer to a non-blended consistency. 

Serve immediately and enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment