Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Gluten Free Black Bean Cupcakes with Buttercream Icing

I know what you're thinking: black bean cupcakes?! I was skeptical too, but I swear to youthey are delicious. Moist, chewy, flavorful, and relatively guilt-free since they contain no butter or flour. And you would never in a million years guess that black beans are the main ingredient. Seriously!


When I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease I honestly thought I'd never have a baked good again. So much for that. If even six months ago you told me I'd be making black bean cupcakes I'd have laughed in your face. But that's the joy of navigating gluten-free baking. You have to be willing to experiment and try new things, even if they sound weird. Because coupled with the right ingredients, you could have a stellar recipe on your hands.


And this is most definitely a stellar recipe.

I should mention that this is adapted from a black bean brownie recipe in a 2010 issue of Woman's World, which a friend kindly passed along to me. I made the brownies a few weeks ago but wasn't 100% pleased with the outcome and knew the recipe needed a little work.


So last night I decided to make cupcakes instead of brownies and they turned out wonderfully. Paired with the buttercream icing, these are to die for. Even my non-gluten-free (and Paleo) friend who's currently visiting from Dallas couldn't get enough of these. They were finger-licking good. Literally.

And now I present to you the recipe for black bean cupcakes...

Gluten-Free Black Bean Cupcakes with Buttercream Icing

Total cook time: 45 minutes (prep time: 15 minutes, cook time: 25 minutes)

Serves 12

For the cupcakes:

1 can black beans
4 organic eggs
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder

Pre-heat the oven to 350ยบ.

Blend ingredients in a food processor until a smooth batter forms. Pour the batter into cupcake liners in a cupcake tin and be sure to leave a little room for the cupcakes to rise. Bake for approximately 25 minutes. I always test them with a toothpick to see if they're done. Cool for at least 30 minutes before icing. 

For the icing:

1 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
1/4 cup organic butter, softened
2 tablespoons almond milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

In a large bowl, mix ingredients together with an electric beater until smooth.

1 comment: