Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Gluten Free Apple Crumble

If it isn't obvious by now, I have now fully embraced fall and all of the fabulous seasonal ingredients that comes with it. Now I can add apples to the list. They're everywhere. And they're so fresh, and crisp, and flavorful.



I promised you a gluten-free apple crumble recipe and I am here to give you a gluten-free apple crumble recipe. The best part? Well, one of the best parts? I already had all of the ingredients in my pantry because except for the apples, the recipe is almost exactly the same as the one for my Gluten-Free Blueberry Crumble



This was the perfect end to the delicious dinner I made on Sunday night (see Roast Chicken and Potatoes with Lemon, Garlic, and Rosemary). And once again my friends agree: there's no way you'd be able to tell this is gluten-free unless someone told you. 

I'm thinking this will become a staple dessert this fall, along with those Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Icing of mine. Oh, those and black bean brownies, the recipe for which I will be sharing with you later this week. Trust me, they're much better than they sound! 



Gluten-Free Apple Crumble

Time: 1 hour 15 minutes (prep time: 15-20 minutes, cook time: 55 minutes)

Serves 6

4 Granny Smith apples, peeled and finely sliced
1 tablespoon sugar (preferably raw sugar)
2/3 cup Ancient Harvest Quinoa Flakes
2/3 cup gluten-free millet flour
2/3 cup organic light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 cup coconut oil

Preheat the oven to 375ยบ. Cover the inside of a 9-inch baking pan with a very thin layer of coconut oil.

Place the apple slices into the greased baking pan and distribute evenly.

In a separate bowl, combine the quinoa flakes, millet flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and sea salt. Add the coconut oil. Rub the coconut oil and dry mixture together with your hands to create a sandy, crumbly texture.

Sprinkle the crumble topping over the apples

Bake for 55 minutes, or until browned and slightly bubbling.

Set the crumble aside on a rack and allow it to cool a bit before serving. I served it warm over a scoop of my favorite Talenti Tahitian Vanilla Bean Gelato.

And I just want to note that all three of us who were eating the dessert went back for seconds and shortly thereafter almost the entire crumble was gone (the gelato too).

No comments:

Post a Comment