Monday, August 27, 2012

Gluten-Free Blueberry Crumble

Gluten-free dessert keeps getting better. Now there's a sentence I'd never thought I'd say! Or at least, not until recently.


This past weekend I was home at my parents' house right outside of Washington, DC for my grandmother's 90th birthday party (!). We had a bunch of family in town, so I wanted to make something special for dessert Friday night and when I happened upon this recipe from Gluten-Free Goddess I immediately knew I had to try it. 

My family loves blueberries, and with summer quickly winding down I wanted to be sure and take advantage while they're still in season. If you're looking for a gluten-free dessert to make for the fabulous Labor Day barbecue you're probably going to, this is it. 


The recipe called for quinoa flakes, millet flour, and coconut oil, none of which I had cooked with before. There's nothing like a new challenge in the kitchen, right? I've seen quinoa flakes called for in a number of recipes recently so it was only a matter of time. I went to our local grocery store, which has an extensive gluten-free section, but I couldn't find quinoa flakes or millet flour, so I quickly made my way over to trusty old Whole Foods. Lesson learned! 

In total, this took about 35 minutes to make. 10 minutes of preparation, and 35 minutes in the oven (while we were eating dinner). Super easy and super delish. 


Gluten-Free Blueberry Crumble

Serves 6

2 pints fresh organic blueberries, washed
1 tablespoon sugar (preferably raw sugar)
2/3 cup quinoa flakes
2/3 cup gluten-free millet flour
2/3 cup organic light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 cup coconut oil

Preheat the oven to 350ยบ. Cover the inside of a 9-inch baking pan with a very thin layer of coconut oil.

Place the blueberries into a bowl and sprinkle with sugar. Toss to coat. Pour into the greased baking pan and distribute evenly.

In a separate bowl, combine the quinoa flakes, millet flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and sea salt. (Note: the original recipe called for 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, but my family agreed it was too salty, so I cut it to 1/8 teaspoon. You may even want to cut the salt entirely.) Add the coconut oil. Rub the coconut oil and dry mixture together with your hands to create a sandy, crumbly texture.


Sprinkle the crumble topping over the blueberries.

Bake in the center of a pre-heated oven for 25 minutes, or until it is browned and slightly bubbling. 

Set the crumble aside on a rack and allow it to cool a bit before serving. I served it warm over a scoop of my favorite Talenti Tahitian Vanilla Bean Gelato.


It was a big hit and everyone agreed that they would never have guessed it was gluten-free. Success!

Gluten Free For All now has a Facebook page. Be sure to "like" the page for regular updates beyond what is posted here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment