Thursday, August 23, 2012

Summer Squash Egg Scramble (for dinner!)

I love everything about eating eggs for dinner. Especially after a long day at work, when I'm feeling tired and lazy and lacking culinary inspiration. Which is exactly how I felt last night, and yet I ended up throwing together this seasonal, healthy, and absolutely delicious scramble in less than ten minutes.


I've had a funny relationship with eggs over the years. When I was a child I hated eggs. Eggs were gross! They smelled funny, had a weird consistency, and let's face it, they weren't pancakes. I was all about pancakes. Or in all honesty, I was probably sneaking ice cream from the freezer for breakfast (which I am still known to do occasionally... the secret's out). It may not have been until college that I started eating eggs. Our dining hall made the best omelets, so eggs quickly became a staple of my diet during those four years, and I've loved them ever since. Thanks, Boston College dining!

Oh, I'm still grossed out by hard boiled eggs (unless they're chopped up in a salad), deviled eggs, and egg salad. But I love eggs over easy, scrambled eggs, and fried eggs (you should check out my recipe for Fried Egg with Yellow Tomato, Avocado, and Basil).

Anyway, back to eggs for dinner. It's the best. I knew I was going to make eggs last night, so I stopped by the Union Square Greenmarket and picked up these cute little summer squash (two for $1, and I have zero idea what they're actually called), and I was ready to cook.


Summer Squash Egg Scramble

Serves 1

(I don't always mention this, but I try to use organic ingredients whenever possible, especially organic fruits  vegetables, dairy products, and meats.)

1/2 regular sized zucchini (or one of those summer squash guys above), diced
1/4 cup red onion, diced
1/2 tomato, diced (I used a yellow tomato, but red would be just as good)
1 egg
1/8 - 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
A few basil leaves, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste


Sauté the zucchini and red onion in olive oil for 3-5 minutes, or until light golden. Add the tomato. After about a minute, add the egg and scramble it in with the rest of the vegetables. Let cook for about a minute (or until it looks cooked), then add the cheese, and as soon as it's melted you can take the pan off the stove and the scramble is ready to serve. Add basil and salt and pepper to taste. 


I ate my scramble with a side of arugula (fresh lemon juice and balsamic for the dressing). A totally satisfying and filling dinner. 


I'm afraid to count how many times I used the word "eggs" in this post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment