Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Herbed Turkey Burgers with Grilled Zucchini and Sweet Potatoes

I love turkey burgers. How could you not? Especially when they're homemade with fresh oregano and garlic. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good hamburger every now and then (probably more often than I should), but I usually opt for turkey burgers when I can. They're lower in calories and fat and easier to digest. I used to eat veggie burgers, but then I found out they're not always gluten-free.


A few weeks ago one of my favorite gluten-free bloggers, the Queen of Quinoa, posted a recipe for Herbed Turkey Burgers with Zucchini Buns and I couldn't stop thinking about it. She's so creative with her recipes, and her photographs are always gorgeous.

Since the days of grilling on my rooftop in Brooklyn are numbered (I'm depressed), I wanted to take full advantage of the gorgeous weather last night and see if I could do the Queen of Quinoa's recipe justice. (My boyfriend thinks she should call herself the Queenioa.)

I wanted an easy, healthy side of grilled vegetables and thought zucchini and sweet potatoes would go nicely with the burgers. There's nothing like grilled vegetables.


As much as I love grilling, I will say that it's always more time-consuming than I anticipate. I don't have a gas grill, so firing up and heating the charcoals takes time. Thankfully my grill-master took care of that. Not to say that it isn't worthwhile, because this was a fabulous meal, but I think next time we'll save the grilling for a weekend rather than a weeknight.


Even though my turkey burgers didn't look nearly as gorgeous as the "Queenioa's," they were flavorful, juicy, and with sliced onion and avocado on top, absolutely delicious.


Herbed Turkey Burgers with Grilled Zuchinni and Sweet Potatoes

Serves 3

Prep time: 20 minutes. Grill time: 15-20 minutes.

Ingredients:

10 – 12 oz ground organic, lean turkey meat
3 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
2 garlic gloves, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
Toppings: sliced tomato, avocado, onions, ketchup, mustard, hot sauce, etc.

1 large zucchini
2 medium sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

In a large bowl, combine turkey meat, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix with your hands until fully combined. Form into two large patties or three smaller patties and set aside.

Slice zucchini into thin round slices and put in a large bowl. Peel sweet potatoes, slice, and combine in bowl with zucchini. Add olive oil, salt, and pepper, and mix until fully coated.

Heat grill to medium heat. Place turkey burgers on grill and cook 4 – 5 minutes per side. Place zucchini and sweet potato slices on grill and cook 4 – 6 minutes per side until there are grill marks and the slices are tender.

Remove from grill. Top turkey burger with desired toppings and serve the zucchini and sweet potatoes on the side. Enjoy!

And don't forget to become a fan of Gluten Free For All on Facebook and follow me on Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment