Sunday, November 11, 2012

Baked Rosemary Sweet Potato Fries

Fries have always been one of my favorite foods, but since my Celiac diagnosis I've had to be really careful about eating them.


Most people don't know this, but if you're Celiac or have a gluten allergy and you're ordering fries, you have to check to see whether they're a) frozen, because flour may have been used to keep them from sticking or b) fried in oil with anything that has flour or breadcrumbs on it. And more often than not, I run into the latter of the two issues.


I'm incredibly sensitive to gluten and have to be 100% certain what I'm eating is gluten-free, which means I can't eat my beloved fries nearly as often as I'd like.


As you can probably tell,  I love sweet potatoes and have been on a bit of a sweet potato kick lately, and while I was home from work during Hurricane Sandy last week I decided to make sweet potato fries on more than one occasion.


They were so easy to make and a healthy, satisfying snack. One baked sweet potato has 180 calories, 7 grams of fiber (26% of your recommended daily intake), 4 grams of protein, 769 % vitamin A, and 65% vitamin C.  So if you have 20 minutes to spare, try these at home.

Baked Rosemary Sweet Potato Fries

Servings: 1-2
Cooking time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

1 sweet potato, cut into 1/2 inch slices (I leave the skin on)
2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions: 

Pre-heat oven to broil. 

Place the sweet potato slices onto a pan covered with tin foil. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with rosemary. Place in the broiler and cook for 8 minutes, flip the fries over, and cook for another 8 minutes or until crispy. Salt and pepper to taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment