Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Gluten Free Peanut Butter, Oatmeal & Chocolate Chip Energy Bites

My friends over at The Whisk and The Wardrobe posted a recipe for Oatmeal Peanut Butter Bites not too long ago, and I immediately knew I had to try it. As with most, if not all of the recipes I post, I amended it slightly to make it gluten-free, and also to make it my own. 


The combination of flavor and texture in these bites is perfect. I also like to think they're at least somewhat guilt-free, since they're packed with nutritious ingredients: peanut butter (protein), oats (fiber, antioxidants, lower cholesterol levels), flaxseed (fiber and protein), and chia seeds (fiber and protein).


They taste delicious and they're good for you. What more can you ask for? Oh, they only take about 10 minutes to make! I'm going to keep a few in my desk drawer at work. It's the perfect late-afternoon snack when you're looking for a little pick-me-up. Might also be a good grab-and-go before hitting the gym in the morning (although in that case I'd probably skip the chocolate chips).


Peanut Butter, Oatmeal & Chocolate Chip Energy Bites

Servings: 12
Total time: 10 minutes

Ingredients: 

1 cup gluten free oats (I use Bob's Red Mill
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/4 cup sliced almonds, chopped
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter, melted and slightly cooled
1/4 cup honey
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract 
1 tablespoon mini chocolate chips (you can add more, but I like a very small amount of chocolate)
1/4 cup ground walnuts (you can also use ground almonds or peanuts)

Instructions:

Combine oats, almonds, flaxseed, chia seeds, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl and stir. 

Melt the peanut butter in the microwave for about 1 minute and cool. Stir in honey and vanilla until combined. Pour peanut butter and honey mixture over oat mixture and mix well with your hands. Add chocolate chips.

Roll the mixture into golf ball-sized balls, then roll into the ground walnuts (in a separate bowl). 

These can be eaten at room temperature or stored in the refrigerator. 

No comments:

Post a Comment