Monday, November 19, 2012

Carrot Ginger Soup

Recently I've been on a major soup kick. I can blame it on the cold weather, but frankly it's been nice to make something that's easy to digest and give my body a little bit of a break. As you can probably tell I eat a pretty healthy diet, but I've had a million things going on lately and with a busy work and social calendar comes lots of eating and drinking. 


Since I already tackled Pumpkin Soup, I figured why not try another of my longstanding favorites: carrot ginger soup. 


Tackle it I did. This was delicious, healthy and packed with vitamin A and hints of ginger and cinnamon.


And as is my goal here on Gluten Free For All, it required fairly little effort. Once I chopped up the onions, carrots and ginger, I basically let it simmer for 45 minutes while reading a very intelligent book. Okay, let's face it, I was watching ABC's Scandal, to which I am now addicted.


The result? A week's worth of fabulous smelling (and tasting) soup that I brought to work for lunch every day last week.

Carrot Ginger Soup

Servings: 5
Total cook time: 45 minutes (prep time: 15 minutes, cook time: 30 minutes)

Ingredients:

1 pound carrots, chopped
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 cup butternut squash, cubed
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until translucent. Add carrots, butternut squash and ginger. Pour in the chicken or vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Cook for 30 minutes or until carrots and butternut squash are tender. 

Transfer mixture into a blender and blend until smooth. Add in cream, cinnamon, and salt and pepper to taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment