Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Green Smoothie

This spring, one of my colleagues introduced me to a delicious green smoothie recipe (thanks, Marissa!), and I've been hooked ever since. I've tested a number of different versions, mostly depending on what I have in my refrigerator. And since I drink this almost every morning, I like at least a little flavor variety.


What I love about this smoothie (which another colleague calls "Green Slime"), is that it's so healthy (full of iron, Vitamin A, omega-3 and fiber) and easy to digest in the morning. For a while I was on a quinoa and gluten-free oatmeal breakfast kick, but both were proving too tough on my stomach first thing in the morning.

Not to mention the fact that this is very filling and keeps me satisfied until lunchtime rolls around. Below is my regular recipe, although I will say I added a small green pear this morning (cut up with the skin) and added a nice, fresh flavor.



Green Smoothie

Preparation time: 5 minutes
Servings: 1.5

Ingredients:

3 cups spinach
1/2 banana
1 cup pineapple
1 tablespoon fresh mint
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
1 1/2 cups ice
1 cup water

Put everything into a blender and mix until smooth. Enjoy!

Side note: I usually blend the ice and water first, then add everything else. It depends on how powerful your blender is.

No comments:

Post a Comment