Monday, May 13, 2013

Roasted Tomatoes with Feta

I'm back with a new, delicious and super easy recipe that's sure to be a hit this summer, whether you make it in the oven or on the grill.

If you're like me, you love tomatoes. Especially when they're ripe and juicy. I've been making a big effort for the past year or so to buy organic and/or local produce when I can, and I have to tell you, it makes such a difference in the flavor. In my book, it's worth spending a little extra.


 I often find myself with extra produce (or just food in general) in my fridge, and I hate to waste it. So sometimes I have to improvise. Improvising is fun. Last week I had spinach and feta that I wanted to use, so I got a little creative. Full disclosure I don't love feta, but I had some left over from another recipe involving baked chicken, tomatoes and feta. So I stopped by the grocery store on my way home from work, grabbed some red, plump tomatoes, and threw together a healthy and very satisfying dinner.


One of the great things about this recipe is that it's completely vegetarian, and with the spinach and tomatoes it's pretty chalk full of nutrients. I'm trying to make more of a conscious effort to eat vegetarian when I cook during the week. Yes Mark Bittman, you have forever rubbed off on me. If you make enough, you should be satisfied, but you can always throw in some quinoa or millet on the side if you're afraid of going to bed hungry.

Roasted Tomatoes with Feta

Serves: 1
Cooking time: 15 - 20 minutes

Ingredients:

2 ripe tomatoes
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 tablespoons feta
1 - 2 cups spinach

Pre-heat oven to 400ยบ. Cut the tomatoes in half, put them in a glass baking dish and cover lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle with feta and cook for 15 minutes. Place on a bed of spinach, drizzle with balsamic and add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment