Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Chilled Summer Corn Soup

There's something about summer corn that's simply the best. Whether on the cob, in a salad or tacos, or even as the main ingredient in soup, it screams summer. I love going to the farmer's market and picking up a few fresh ears of deliciously sweet corn. And then, to the kitchen I go. 

I recently had a very memorable bowl of chilled corn soup at Gotham Bar & Grill in Manhattan, and since then it's been on my mind. I don't know why I never thought to make it before (maybe it's because I'm increasingly spending more and more time in the kitchen testing out new recipes), but I figured it was about time. 


I was in Maine this past weekend, and besides eating a ton of really delicious, fresh food, I caught up on my food magazine reading. Who doesn't love flipping through the pages of Food & Wine and Bon Appétit? As I was flipping through Bon Appétit, I came across a recipe for Chilled Corn Soup with Lobster Salad (timely, since I was in Maine of all places), and decided I had to make it the minute I walked into my apartment. It was tough being away from my kitchen for five days, but also really nice to come back with a heaping handful of new recipes I want to try out.


I decided to take the simple route and forget the lobster salad portion of the recipe. Why not just focus on the corn, after all? I made this in under 30 minutes last night and I have to tell you, it's on my list of summer favorites. I've been cooking up a storm lately, and this came out pretty close to perfect. 

And it again solidifies for me (for like, the millionth time), that being gluten-free doesn't restrict you from eating absolutely delicious food. And honestly, it just forces you at times to be a little more creative and go slightly outside your comfort zone (although that wasn't the case with this particular recipe). 

So stop by your local farmer's market on your way home tonight, pick up some fresh corn, and get cooking! 

Chilled Summer Corn Soup

Servings: 6
Cooking time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 large white onion, chopped 
1 garlic glove, diced
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
6 cups corn kernels (fresh or frozen, 1 ear fresh = about 1 cup)
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
5 cups water

In a large saucepan, heat butter and olive oil on medium-high. Once it's fully melted, add onion and garlic and sauté for approximately five minutes or until light golden. 

Add corn, season with salt and pepper and sauté for another five minutes. Add thyme and five cups of water. Bring to a boil and simmer for anther five minutes. 

Working in batches, purée corn mixture in a blender or food processor. until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste, transfer to a large bowl and refrigerate for at least two hours or until chilled. 

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! Any rules of thumb of how many ears of corn equal a cup of kernels?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate! Thanks, it was delicious and pretty painless to make! Usually 1 ear = 1 cup.

    ReplyDelete