Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Tomato, Plum, Mozzarella & Basil Salad

Disclaimer: I recognize that we've already unwittingly waved goodbye to summer, and hence summer produce, but this salad is too good not to share. And honestly, I think we still have a few weeks of fresh, juicy tomatoes left (and hopefully plums).


I didn't see this recipe in magazine or on a blog, nor did I have it at a restaurant. I was simply inspired by the gorgeous plums at the farmers market. I knew I had to buy them, but at the time I had no idea how I'd use them. It didn't take long before my wheels started turning. Why not add a sweet kick to my summer sustenance: tomato and mozzarella salad? The texture of plums isn't all that different from that of tomatoes (perhaps a bit more tough, but these were so ripe).


I couldn't have been more right. With a little olive oil and honey drizzled on top, this was perfect. And so elegantly simple, with only six ingredients (counting the olive oil and honey). After eating it for a week straight I made it for a few girlfriends I had over for dinner, and their reaction was exactly the same. How is it that I'd never thought of this before? So what are you waiting for? Make this while you still can. Otherwise it's tah-tah until next summer.


Tomato, Plum, Mozzarella & Basil Salad

Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 2

1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1 cup plums, diced
1/2 cup fresh buffalo mozzarella
2 tablespoons fresh basil
2 teaspoons olive oil  
1 teaspoon honey 
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix ingredients together in a bowl and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment