Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Gluten Free Blueberry & Cherry Crisp

Sunday night my boyfriend and I were getting ready to watch Breaking Bad and knew I wanted something sweet to help alleviate my anxiety. First, because as of Sunday there were only three episodes left of the entire series. Second, anyone who watches it knows how insane it is.

Anyway, I had some frozen farmers market blueberries and cherries in the freezer and figured I'd throw together a nice little dessert. In the past I've made a similar version of this recipe using millet flour and quinoa flakes, but since I didn't have those ingredients I decided to improvise. Instead I used coconut flour (which I've been baking with more regularly and like because it contains a good dose of fiber) and coconut flakes. To be honest, I liked this as much, if not more. The coconut flakes, which were toasted by the time this was ready to come out of the oven, added a really nice, crispy texture.


Dessert isn't always the easiest when you're gluten free, but this is a very simple, easy and fool-proof recipe. It's the perfectly balanced dessert. The coconut flour is fairly dense and the recipe doesn't call for a lot of sugar, so it's not overwhelmingly sweet. And while it's ideal in the summer, it's most certainly a dish you can make all year round.


Gluten Free Blueberry & Cherry Crisp

Time: 30 minutes (5 minutes prep, 25 minutes cooking)
Servings: 4

Ingredients:

1 cup blueberries
1 cup cherries
1 teaspoon sugar
1/3 cup coconut flour
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup coconut flakes

Preheat the oven to 350ยบ. Cover the inside of a cake pan with a very thin layer of coconut oil (spray).

Place the blueberries and cherries into a bowl and sprinkle with sugar. Toss to coat. Pour into the greased pan and distribute evenly.

In a separate bowl, combine coconut flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Add the coconut oil. Rub coconut oil and dry mixture together with your hands to create a dough-like texture.

Sprinkle the crumble topping over the blueberries.

Bake in the center of a pre-heated oven for 25 minutes, or until browned. Remove and serve immediately. I'd suggest serving it with a scoop of vanilla or coconut ice cream the crumble is slightly dry and ice cream compliments it well and gives some added moisture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment