Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Fresh Figs with Goat Cheese and Balsamic

Fresh figs are one of my very favorite seasonal foods. If I could eat them every day I would. Luckily for me we are entering prime fig season. 


One of the things I love about figs is that they go well in so many different dishes. In a salad, with pork chops, wrapped in bacon or prosciutto, stuffed with goat cheese... The list goes on and on. As I was looking for some inspiration I found this amazing fig recipe slideshow on Martha Stewart's website. They have an entire seasonal produce recipe guide that I highly recommend.

I do want to start incorporating nutritional information about the ingredients I use when possible. It's always nice to know that what you're eating is benefiting you in some way. So I'll tell you now (in case you didn't already know) that figs are rich in fiber, potassium and manganese. If you want to read more click here.

Anyway, here on Gluten Free For All one of my main goals is to post recipes that are simple and easy, but also incredibly delicious (and of course seasonal). Recipes that don't take an hour plus to make, but that can be thrown together in 15-30 minutes. Today you're in luck, because this recipe takes all of five minutes and is one you will want to make again and again as long as there are fresh figs to be eaten!


Fresh Figs with Goat Cheese and Balsamic

Serves 1

5 fresh figs
1/4 cup goat cheese
Balsamic glaze or balsamic vinegar

Slice the figs in half, keeping the skin on. Sprinkle goat cheese on top of each slice. Drizzle balsamic glaze (which, as you know, I put on pretty much everything) or balsamic vinegar on top.

And there you have it! The perfect summer appetizer or dessert. And you can bet I will be back with more recipes that incorporate fresh figs over the next month or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment